Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Beginning of the Miraculous

The next morning came early. I heard the jailer rattling his keys as he walked down the tier to my cell. He handed me my “street clothes” and I headed off to the shower. I was filled with anticipation, but I was not sure of what. Above all there was a profound sense of trust and love for God. I showered, washing my hair with soap, got dressed and proceeded to “the window”.


As the jailer opened the door, I noticed that there were two Hispanic men in a different uniform than the police. The older of the two men spoke “you are lucky! Last week we had 12 prisoners and we drove them in a van to Los Angeles. This week you are the only one. We are driving to Portland and flying to LA” “Praise God” I shouted. These words would almost become a trademark for me, and to my knowledge this was the first time that I exclaimed them in that manner. “Are you a Christian?” he asked. I replied that I had just gotten saved. I was securely shackled as the paperwork was completed, and then we went to the door of the secured garage. The older gentleman was named Trevino was a large man and he led me to the back door of the van. His partner was skinny and much younger; both men were armed with pistols.

I was placed in the back of the van and off we went headed toward Portland and eventually Los Angeles. After only a few a blocks Trevino who was driving said something inaudible to his partner, and he pulled the van into the Circle K on Bridge Street. I was immediately suspicious as this whole business of being transported by contractors was strange. Trevino pulled the van over jumped out and came around to the passenger side. Opening the door he said “get out”. Now I was really suspicious, but I exited the secure van. Reaching in his pocket and grabbing the handcuff keys, he took the shackles off of me. His partner protested but he did it anyway. He then handed me a ten dollar bill and told me to go into the store and get anything I wanted. “Can I get cigarettes?” he affirmed and amazed I walked into the store like a free man and bought me some chocolate milk, food and cigarettes.

The younger guy was a nervous wreck. Trevino kept reassuring him everything was going to be fine. Trevino then told me to grab a crate and put it between the front seats on their side of the cage. He said “I am going to preach to you all the way to Portland!”

The young guy kept fingering his gun, Trevino just laughed at him, as he told me his testimony of God’s love. We drove to Portland and he asked where I wanted to eat. We ended up eating at Elmer’s in my old neighborhood. I thought about how easy it would have been to get away and escape to a friend’s house.

No comments:

Post a Comment