Sunday, March 28, 2010

Introduction "From my amateur point of view"



When one of my mentors would talk about God, he would always say "from my amateur point of view".  That resonates with me, because I think that we are all amateurs when it comes to God.  A man can spend much of his life (as I have for the past 22 years) learning the scripture and realize that he really doesn’t know much at all.  The Apostle Paul said that we see through a glass darkly, and I would have to say that is an understatement!  The first words from the Sermon on the Mount “Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the kingdom of God” would indicate that the key to receiving from that kingdom in the present tense is a sense of humility that recognizes he does not know much at all.
Now I will state my views plainly here, as I tell my story. I am blatantly Christian, but I make some religious people real nervous. They just don’t understand my friendship with God, and that is OK. I don’t understand their religion, but we all share the same thing. We still see through the glass darkly. I am comfortable not knowing it all.
We have an incredible story! It starts out real ugly, and that part will be hard to for me to tell. When I think about it I can still feel the pain of the heartbreak and the disappointments of someone who felt so misunderstood, and ended up hurting the people who loved him. And it may be shameful to some, but not for me. For I am the sum total of my experience, and it took the pain and the shame to bring me to place of grace. That place was in a jail cell and the date was March 13th 1988.  My story is a story of hope. It is a story that is filled with miracles. Because I have experienced God’s Love and continue to do so, my desire is that you would too experience, the Grace and acceptance that comes from a loving heavenly Father.
 But, the story ends up where I sit as I type. I am a redeemed man and I know it! I have experienced God’s love, and because of that His love pours out of me! It happens in different places and sometimes seemly inopportune times. But I don’t mind, because every time that love oozes out of me it reminds me of what He has done for me!  
Please bear with me as I talk about Grace!

2 comments:

  1. John I think your blog is wonderful. You have inspired me to love life. I have had such a trying time this last year and a half. You lift me to a new level. I have learned so much from you in just a few short weeks. So glad you love me and give me strength. I find comfort in you everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,this is awesome stuff!So many parallels in our lives..must be why we have the same birthday-and must be why I believe God wants the four of us connected.I want to hear more.

    ReplyDelete